29.6.12

A Mixtape for Rising Above the Bitches and Pettin' Good Dogs in the Sweet, Sweet Sunshine

BY LIZ

(I'm doing a thing where I custom-make Spotify playlists for everyone who wants one. If you want one too, read "the guidelines" here and email me here.)

This playlist's for Saaniya, who requests "a mixtape for when you're really sad because people are shitty and mean and talk only about other people but then you go out on a walk and listen to good stuff and pet some dogs and the weather is awesome and you're happy again." I made the songs start off all hotly self-righteous/indignant and then slowly transition to chill and reflective and transcendent and lovely. The turning point's "Obvious" by Jane's Addiction, which is a perfect song for when you're trying to rise above the trash-talkers -- I always sing the line "Fools don't fit in the boots that I tread in" out loud whenever I listen to it.

BTW, the middle pic above was taken by my friend Casey Revkin -- that's her dog Baxter, who often tries to dance with me and/or eat my feet. He's a good dog and a cool buddy.

Here's the tracklist:


1. "I'm Not Everybody Else" by the Chocolate Watch Band
2. "Dumb Fun" by Juliana Hatfield
3. "Comeback Kid" by Sleigh Bells
4. "I Had Too Much to Dream (Last Night)" by Stiv Bators
5. "No New Tale to Tell" by Love and Rockets
6. "Obvious" by Jane's Addiction
7. "Ancient Cryme" by Helium
8. "Antonia June" by Lightning Dust
9. "Charm" by Wild Colonials
10. "Fireworks" by Animal Collective
11. "Cloudbusting" by Kate Bush
12. "Dry the Rain" by the Beta Band
13. "Dream All Day" by the Posies
14. "Here Comes One" by Lavender Diamond
15. "Your Star Will Shine" by the Stone Roses
16. "Feel Flows" by the Beach Boys

1 comment:

  1. That is really good post, Nirvana used to be in my playlist when I was in university. Reminded me my old days, thank you so much

    ReplyDelete